Home

Home

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Congratulations!

"Congratulations, you have been accepted into Disney's College Program!"

This message, or one just like it, officially says you are a Walt Disney World Resort Castmember. They do not send you a wimpy letter: they send you a PACKET. The packet has all kinds of information in it including where you are going to work, when you are supposed to check in, and when to pay your entry fee. Yeah, they have a fee to hold your spot but luckily it is not a large amount. Even if you do not pay it by the deadline, you can still go. I know this from experience. I forgot to pay until the week after the deadline and the only bad thing to come of it was I did not get my name tag when I arrived. If you do not want to be Pat from Auburndale, FL, I suggest paying your fee on time.

Thankfully I got Attractions (which was my first choice). Sadly, though, I had to do research on different Disney attractions because I had never been to any Disney park and had no idea what I was getting myself in to.

I did not choose which attraction I worked on, but some of my friends said they requested a specific ride and they got it. If you get Attractions, I strongly suggest doing some research on the different attractions before requesting a ride. Every ride has a different theme, back story, and atmosphere. Some are exciting, some are educational; many are directed only at children while others are geared for adults.

Just to name a few...

                                                          
                                                                
                                                                   
                                                               
The ones above are some of the most well-known and exciting rides. Others, like It's A Small World and The Carousel of Progress, are classics but would be awful to work on due to the songs that get stuck in your head.

I personally wanted to work on Pirates of the Caribbean or on The Hollywood Tower of Terror. Both are some of the most well-known rides in the world; Pirates has its own movie franchise and Tower is exempt from one of Disney's major rules: SMILE. Luckily I was placed on the greatest ride at any of the Disney Parks, and possibly any ride in the world: The World Famous Jungle Cruise.




But I digress. You find out which area you are assigned to when you are checking in and getting your assignment the first day you are there. You find out which ride you get your second or third day of training, at which time you go to costuming.

Each ride has a separate character that Castmembers must play. Pirates must act like swashbuckling scalawags; Haunted Mansion maids and butlers must be withdrawn and a little creepy; Jungle Cruise Skippers must be witty. So moral to the story: when requesting a ride, choose one that you will be happy "staying in character and playing the part" for the duration of your program.

1 comment:

  1. Good to know! I think I remember hearing that a famous Hollywood actor worked the Jungle Cruise.

    ReplyDelete